Urge to Splurge: Can We Ever Stop Freaking Out During Sales?!

“Wow! It’s Pakistani designer suits this time. Come didi let’s go and check out,” my young friend said with delight in her eyes. The ad in the weekend newspaper enticed her to come and check the new sensation in Chandigarh - the City Beautiful. From across the border had come sellers to introduce us to the rich fabrics and prints of Pakistan through the Pakizah sale and exhibition. The proposition of my friend was indeed tempting!


Reasons aplenty
A few days back, I had been to “Cotton Fab” and before that to “Cotton Expo” and before that to Rajasthani-Jaipur exhibition and so on. I seem to have heartily obliged each sale-cum-exhibition with purchases, daintily walking out of the hall with shopping bags in my hand. My reason for a purchase was always a convincing one. A good number of cotton kurtis for long sweltering summers are a necessity as cotton prints fade after multiple washes. One can compensate by scrimping in winters when clothes don’t fray as much. On another occasion, my reason for purchase was the launch of new indigo range. My young friend implored me again saying, “An exclusive Pakistani exhibition is once in a year chance. Let’s not miss it !” I came out of my reverie and asked her to give me time to arrange my thoughts before I commit myself once again to shopping for clothes. I had to do some introspection.
 
Shopaholicism
Why is it difficult for some people to hold back the “blood rush” to purchase? Richard Templar in his book “The Rules to Wealth” brilliantly exhorted on the need to control spending impulses. He wrote, “The rich know how to control their spending urges - that’s why they’re rich”. He explained that it is uplifting to purchase when you really need something but it isn’t when the need isn’t there. The later is driven by a strong impulse. Confessing here, I have fallen prey to these impulses many a times and bought unwanted items. A compulsive shopper is called a Shopaholic. In the film “Confessions of a Shopaholic” the actress who’s addicted to shopping jeopardizes not only her job but also her personal relationships. She swings from a super adrenaline rush before purchase and then sinks into guilt after. The actress is advised by her best friend to attend a therapeutic group called Shopaholics Anonymous. Psychologist April Lane Benson, Ph.D., author of To Buy or Not to Buy cautions that relationships of shopaholics may also suffer as they “often get into spats with loved ones about their spending sprees”.                        

Sale Fever


During mega sales or semi-annual sales, we search products (online or offline), hunting for bargains. We buy items we don’t need, thinking that they are actually worth more than the price. As sales generates a lot of hype, they can mess with our mind. We not only waste our money but also add clutter to our home. During festive season be a sales champion and go through many stores to pick up the best discounts.   

No gender divide here :)
After being aware of such wisdom, reasoning still eludes us when we hit the shopping floor. Research studies have proven that both men and women are equally given to uncontrollable shopping frenzy. There is no gender divide here. 

Coming back to my present situation, my friend is still persistent. She sulks and requests me to accompany her without me buying anything. I relent halfheartedly to give her company. Off we go and sample Pakistani Lawn, Chiffon, Suits & Dresses from Sana Safinaz, Gul Ahmed, Mariab, etc. The unique and exquisite range of suit materials was so tempting. I resisted my impulse to purchase reminding myself of the larger goals in my life. My self control through mindfulness held be back. After my friend had made a couple of purchases, I made a conscious dash towards the exit. Voila! it was victory for a self-confessed shopaholic. I saved myself some money and a cartload of guilt. I am sure we all can practice restraint and control our urge to splurge! 😍


Here are 5 Money Tips for Shopaholics: 

1. Remind yourself of larger life goals
2. Track the money you spend
3. Cut up your credit cards, instead use debit card
4. Save and harness the “Power of Compound Interest”
5. Remember Warren Buffet’s famous quote, ““Do not save what is left after spending; instead spend what is left after saving.”

Comments

  1. Very true and well written
    Points we need toreread and be reminded again and again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea it's a battle when we go shopping :)

      Delete
  2. Awww, so you lost the opportunity to wear pakistani kurti

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wake-Up Call: This is What Happened to My Mellow Mornings!

Pareto at Play: How Can We Get More Out of Life

Curse Of Information Overload